Tuesday, November 25, 2008

/2 LF Girlfriend, pst.

So I just came home from donating blood at the school, it was a blast as always: cookies and orange drink for a little bit of blood. Ian Thompson passed out (I think) by the way).

I popped open my browser, which now opens to Kotaku by default, and found something that was totally worth getting a little bit more behind on homework.

When I read something with the title "How to meet a girl in World of Warcraft" I immediately think "Matt Davis". Felicia Day answers that question (she writes and stars in the web-show "The Guild"). Instead of linking it, because who likes to follow those, I did the good 'ol [ctrl]+[c] method.

So what advice would you give to guy trying to meet a girl in World Of Warcraft?
Well, most of the female avatars in World of Warcraft are actually guys. So if you're a guy looking to meet girls, you need to make sure to put the person you're interested in through that vetting process. And if you're a girl, be prepared to fight guys off with a stick because there's a lot more of them than there are female gamers. You should join a large guild and pair with other people to go on missions. Try and meet people who are on your same level.

Would it matter to you if the guy's a noob?
Yeah, I hate to say that, but if you're a noob you probably won't get a second glance. Just like in real life when a guy drives a Ferrari, it might not be an automatic thumbs up, but it does catch the eye. So if you have the Ferrari of broadswords, yeah.

That's a big plus.
I mean, it's not necessarily a big plus, but it definitely gets you a second look. Whereas if you're in some torn cross-stitch pants, you're probably not even going to be a blip on the radar.

Sure, you wouldn't want to be seen with a guy like that. Probably not.

Would you recommend a gift?
Like an enchanted broadsword? You could definitely send a gift or two through game mail, but I wouldn't just keep sending them. Helping someone out on a quest or helping them level up would definitely be appropriate and a good way to get their attention.

So what do you look for in the avatar of a potential guy?
Your set pieces need to match because I like a guy with detail. You don't want to look haphazard. I understand when you're leveling you need to take what you can get, but there are always ways to refine the way you look. So tailor your look so it is not horrible-looking together with your set pieces and your equipment. And I would say if you're wearing a pink princess shield, that's probably not a turn on.

So you like more macho characters?
I would say no because in the avatar world guys tend to look like Cro-Magnon men, and that's not a turn on, at all. A guy needs to look not too flamboyant and not too Cro-Magnon. It's a fine line.

What about lolz speak and emoticons?
Would you consider that a turn off? If you're using it all the time like, "I can Haz Cheezburger?" that's definitely a bad thing. But I think there are certain things like LOL, ROFL and the smiley face that's just the colon and parenthesis at the end of a sentence that pretty much accepted as normal. But elaborate emoticons where you add a nose and a tongue, I associate that with teenagers in AOL chat rooms. Also, you have to be able to spell. That's a big thing.

So has anything ever happened to you in real life like on "The Guild?"
No, I haven't had any people show up on my doorstep. I have had people get my IM which I ignored and blocked, because my IM is pretty sacred. And I had a couple of people who would send me free things through the mail, the game mail. Like, you know, cooking me some spider cakes, or kababs.

Kababs? In the mail?
In the game mail. Not in the real mail. I've had some strange e-mails, but other than that I think people are pretty respectful; I'm in a pretty safe guild though.

Have you ever dated a guy you met on WOW?
No, I did have an online boyfriend when I was 16 or something, but that was through a bulletin board versus a game. I do know people who have met online and have even married online. They have a tuxedo and bridesmaid dress in the WOW you know.

How important would you say non-WOW interests are?
You probably don't want to just talk about WOW all the time, but you did meet there and you have that in common, so you shouldn't feel like there's something wrong with talking about it.

Is there anything you'd like to add?
I think you should definitely take it offline. I dated a guy once who had a great speaking voice but there was just nothing there when we were together. That happens, people have "keyboard chemistry" as I call it in the show and they get together in real life and it's not what they were expecting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes pt. i did. i knew ud blog bout this